Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fearing God

I always remembered saying that I didn't like preachers that would try to scare me into believing in God.  I remember walking through this "Hell House;" the basic idea is to scare the Hell out of you. The people do this hoping that you will be so scared that you don't want to go to Hell and you will turn to God. I believe it is wrong show hell so that you follow Jesus. I think that is putting to much power into hell. It seems that this is almost putting a sense of power in hell. I am against that. 

But is there some fear that is GOOD? 
I would argue YES.

We must fear God. Throughout scripture we see this over and over again. 

Here are some Scriptures to back this Idea up.....

Eccl. 8:13 "yet because the wicked do not fear God, it will not go well with them, and their days will not lengthen"


In this you see that the wicked have no fear of God. They have been judged (there are consequences for not fearing God) and they do not fear, so they have no reason not to sin. The contrast of this would be the Christians that aren't wicked should fear God...

If you do not fear God, there is nothing to stop you from sinning...

Acts 10:35 "but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him."

God finds delight in those who fear Him and he finds you acceptable when you fear God. 

For Example:

My dad believed in spanking my booty at an early age in my life. It made me fear him and yet love him. After I got older he didn't have to spank me because....I love my dad and now I do what he says because I do not want to disappoint him because I love him.  

The best deterrent to sin is the fear of God instilled in you. 

Proverbs 8:13 is a good picture of this...

"So do not fear hell. It has no hold on you.... fear God and watch how it shapes you..."


So fear the Lord your God!


Here are the verses that I found that back this up!

  Lack of fear leads to sin and harm
Gen. 20:11
Eccl. 8:13
    Rom 3:12
     Deut 10:18
Psa. 19:9
 Acts 10:35
Acts 19:17
 2 cor 5:11

Deterrent to sin
  Exod. 20:18
  Lev 19:14
  Josh. 24:14
  Prov 8:13
   Prov 14:27
   Is. 11:2
 Jer. 5:22

Now I want all you to understand that God is not just fear. He is love, patient, kind and all that you have heard. But there is another side.... Wrath, fear, and judgment. we need to see both sides to fully understand God.  


No comments:

Post a Comment